Ain't No Stoppin' Bob Baldwin - Interview with Jazz pianist/ composer


Interview first appeared in JazzReview.com

I’ll admit it from the top, I love jazz pianist Bob Baldwin. Not only is he a great composer but he is what some may brand as a “musician’s musician”. Bob Baldwin ain’t no fool musically speaking. He has cleverly found the art of mixing jazz with urban music and the result is a funky little thing folded neatly into a package that is called “NewUrbanJazz.com.”
Bob Baldwin has jazz music running through his veins. His father Robert Baldwin senior was a jazz pianist who worked with jazz greats such as Art Davis, Keter Betts and Max Roach. By the time young Baldwin, Jr. was four-years old, he was already able to play the notes by just hearing them and it wasn’t too long before he started training in classical piano.

Compilations such as “NewUrbanJazz.com” are rare like diamonds in the lot of common stone releases. For one thing this is not the type of CD that you have to listen to for several times waiting for it to grow on you. Rather it is one that would get to you upon first impact and that’s really a welcoming change. Tracks herein are yummy and delectable in every way, its no wonder that this CD has been in power rotation on my MP3 player for the last few months or so. The CD’s welcome mat is “Jeep Jazz”, a happy-go-lucky summer induced track with Baldwin’s sultry voice introducing the proceedings. This is followed by an impressive and resounding tribute to jazz great Joe Zawinul with a title that bears the musician’s name. “Joe Zawinul” is one of those refreshingly breezy songs that are awash with lovely synths and Baldwin joyously tickling the ivories. Indeed a song supreme! Elsewhere on the CD you can listen to Freddie Jackson’s divine vocals on “Natural Thing” and a beautiful pairing of Baldwin and Najee on Stevie Wonder’s “My Cherie Armour.”

“Flying High” will have you soaring to new musical heights on this upbeat jeep-ready track that gets its shine from vocalists scatting in and out of this festive track, while 80s dance hit “Somebody Else’s Guy” is given a 21st century shine courtesy vocals by original singer Jocelyn Brown.

Other guest artists on the CD include Phil Perry, Marion Meadows and Frank McComb to name a few.

Bob Baldwin recently sat down to talk to JazzReview.com about his latest CD and music styles.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Bob, how dare you make a CD like this? It is awesome! This is not the type of CD that you have to listen to a few times for it to grow on you. It just appeals to you from the jump off. What is your secret to making a compilation that is this good?

BOB BALDWIN: Well, to be honest, this record has been redone a few times. I went through 50 tunes until the right label was ready. The original version of this was to be a follow-up to bobbaldwin.com (2001). In between time, I put out Standing Tall, The American Spirit, Brazil Chill, All In a Day's Work....different labels, really not good fits for this project, so I held it back.....all of these records were released in the meantime. Finally, the label nuGroove was the right fit, but I had to change the direction to keep current because in theory, the record was ready in 2001, but way ahead of it's time.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Well, this was indeed released in the right time and it has that current edge to it.

BOB BALDWIN: For me on any project that I work on, it’s about staying fresh and ahead of the curve. I wasn't letting it go until it felt right.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Well your timing is indeed impeccable. How long have you been in the business?

BOB BALDWIN: I started in 1984. Did a session or two - Sat in on some cool sessions where I worked often. I met Luther (Vandross) before he had his first deal, met the guys from Atlantic Star. I saw Kirk Whalum work on his demo with Bob James before he got his deal. As a radio intern, I got Marcus Miller his first radio interview in 1982 when he was working with Miles (Davis), Grover (Washington) and (David) Sanborn at the same time and saw him cut some of Sanborn's records in White Plains, NY. I was a little dude then.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: That was probably a joy for you to see all these musical giants in your young age. What happened next? Surely your recording deal was on the horizon.

BOB BALDWIN: I dropped a production-based record in 1988 and it won the Sony Innovator's award, selected by Roberta Flack. That got me my deal (via Sylvia Rhone) at Atlantic. Grover called me in '89 and I arranged "Don't Take Your Love from Me" (Time out of Mind Disc), then he played on my "Reflections of Love" CD in 1992. I then did one-offs with Shanachie in 1997, Orpheus-2000, Narada - 2002, A440 - 2004, 215 - 2005 and now Nu-Groove...plus my own indie-owned projects. Eventually all roads led to New Urban Jazz and nu-Groove recording label. Nu-Groove is a good fit.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Tell me more about the nu-Groove recording label.

BOB BALDWIN: Chack is a good executive, knows how to sell my music. We're off to a good start in 2008, even though the smooth stations are disappearing, I'll still selling records because I make music, not jazz music, not pop, not funk...My music is for people: black, white, green, whatever...I see your head bopping.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: (laughs). I feel you on that. Now can you explain the phrase New Urban Jazz?

BOB BALDWIN: New Urban Jazz is a fusion of contemporary jazz with a unique blend of urban music. A more defined blend will be revealed at a later date....just keep hitting my site...www.newurbanjazz.com.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Ok I will stay tuned to the website which by the way is really informative as it tells your fans about your tour dates and they can also get to hear some CD sound bites as well. Do you think that this new genre that you have obviously created here would catch on and why?

BOB BALDWIN: Heck! Something better change! There are five stations dropped in months in 2008. Obviously, there's a problem. Something is broken. People are bored and they want fresh music and blends. Better keep fighting for what you believe in.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: What do you think is the missing link and maybe the reason why these stations are closing?

BOB BALDWIN: People want more. Music pushes Math, makes kids smarter...Music is the artistic backbone of this country, so someone better be practicing. When was the last time you went a whole week and didn't hear any music? It's deep in the fabric of the universe...in your car, at work, in the club, at the restaurant, in the elevator, in the public bathroom...geez! Can't get away from the stuff! So people obviously place some value on it, but if you silence the instruments, who is going to play real music moving forward?

JAZZREVIEW.COM: If you had your way what would you recommend?

BOB BALDWIN: Music draws emotions, makes people feel proud, happy, sad, horny, whatever....All I'm saying is you gotta keep it fresh, but don't kill the dream that was started by the original masters, Parker, Coltrane, Duke, etc. All these cats from back then lived short lives, played in clubs under undesirable conditions, and exposed themselves to the vices of the world in between playing amazing music....perfect on-stage with all of their genius....all for the sake of music and the perfection of it within.

Nowadays, I just show up at a gig with the gear set up and I play, none of the drama they went through and I have to tip my hat. We can't let that dream die. So anyway, I'm working on some other enterprising stuff that requires me getting away from the piano and to the boardroom. I learned 20 years ago that playing the piano won't get it done anymore. Look at Wynton (Marsalis), what he helped to build. That’s why I do other things like present shows. I see this as doing my part in proving that this music still means a lot to a lot of people. A lot of trial and error goes into that....and people appreciate that.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: How is the CD doing on the charts so far?

BOB BALDWIN: We debut at #8 Billboard CJazz and we are flying at top 10. We are trying to make that (the CD) pop all summer, so we are trying to work on some other creative ways to market the project.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: What is your favorite track on the CD and why?

BOB BALDWIN: I have several...Jeep Jazz started off the concept, that's my baby. I love the collaboration with Najee (My Cherie Amour), the tribute to Joe Zawinul is special. The collaboration with Jocelyn Brown overseas was great. These are new circles I'm stepping into, so the new feelings and vibes are great. You can't really grow in life if you travel the same roads and I knew that 10 years ago, but labels didn't feel the vision.....UNTIL NOW!!

JAZZREVIEW.COM: (laughs). What's to come after this CD. Perhaps another compilation, or tour?

BOB BALDWIN: I’m working on an anthology for 2009 and reissuing BobBaldwin.com, Brazil Chill and All in a Day's Work. As far as dates go, I have some interesting artist compilations in mind. Visit my site soon and stay tune to my other website (www.bobbaldwin.com).

JAZZREVIEW.COM: You've just added radio deejay to your title, tell us about that?

BOB BALDWIN: That's a good question. My show on WJZZ-Radio is the focus right now, Saturdays 6-10 Atlanta 107.5, or online at www.1075wjzz.com...listen in and check it out...but to be truthful, I started radio in 1978 - got my FCC license (no longer needed), interned at WBLS when they were #1 in the country in 1981. I then moved to 1010Wins in my early 20's, ran into the buzz saw that was a labor union strike and had to walk away. I covered the Jesse Jackson Presidential campaign briefly in 1984....then jumped into music.

I came back in with some music credentials, did the cd101.9 jingle for 7 years (1998-2005). In 2004, I walked into a music consultant gig in Jacksonville, Fl and even helped to upstart a Bermuda Smooth Jazz station in 2005. As a matter of fact they wanted me to move to Bermuda but I couldn’t. I consulted WCLK radio in Atlanta, almost doubled their listenership in 12 months and now I’m here at WJZZ, loving every minute of it. Radio-One is a great company, so we're having fun, building a base of listeners and supporters.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: What do you think about today's jazz sounds? Do you think that jazz music is taking a downward spiral as some would like to think?

BOB BALDWIN: In working in radio over the last 30 years, especially the last four, all of these records are trying to get through this funnel with the little pea-size hole at the bottom.

Everyone is trying to squeeze through the hole. That hole is radio. We need to figure out how to increase the diameter of that hole...just make it bigger. People are playing stuff all day...good stuff. Look at myspace....tons of good stuff there...there's nothing wrong with the music but .it's real simple. One just has to expand the voice...play music on the radio that not only keeps listeners engaged, but music that translates to retail. Just increase the diameter…

JAZZREVIEW.COM: Tell us about the behind the scenes in making this CD in terms of how the artists were chosen.

BOB BALDWIN: It would take a full day to script that. Remember, it started in 1999. This record is really an anthology of sorts. Basically, I wanted this jazz-funk vibe, so anything that fit that mold made the record. So the original records were Jeep Jazz, Natural Thang, Too Late, Don't Keep Me Waiting (10 years old, man!!). That was the real vibe, but I didn't want to alienate my audience, my smooth people, so we filled it up with "Third Wind", "It Is What It Is". I always like to keep a classic on board, so my childhood fave "My Cherie Amour" with Najee was perfect. He had done "Songs in the Key of Life" already so I knew he was a Stevie fan. Marion (Meadows) and I always had this funk-jazz thing down going back 15 years. Check out his disc "Body Rhythm". That NY-Queens, funky, dirty, Marcus Miller-ish vibe enter "She's All That". And we did a little hip-hop for the kids… just some wholesome rhythmic stuff, hip-hop and bebop, so at the end of the day; we have a record for the ages of 20-60 from all walks of life. People from all walks of life embrace the funk....Everybody's happy and it's all good!

It's my funk-jazz anthology - NewUrbanJazz, b-b-b-b-baby. Heck, it's just good music. I just gave it a title so people can engage in some dialogue...to get focused.

JAZZREVIEW.COM: (laughs) Mission accomplished, Mr. Baldwin! It was indeed a pleasure talking with you.

Comments